Wednesday, September 14, 2011

(BW) Go Green

For the first nine years of life, I have faint memories of living in Chinatown. Our little 2 room apartment for a family of six. Living in Chinatown, people never really cared about the environment. Everything was in a 3 block radius stores were always packed with groceries and everyone’s daily needs. But I considered gum a sweet treat, so hen I got the chance, I seized it. I chewed for the longest time, then when I finished, I swallowed it. I never wanted to spit my gum out on the street because I considered it impolite. Although it never before stopped me from littering, Whenever a trash can want near by, and some garbage needed disposing of, look left, right, then over the shoulder if anyone was watching, then drop the trash in a nearby bush or even plainly on the sidewalk. There was no conscience, and I, along with many other residents of Chinatown, did not care for the environment. Whenever there was litter on the floor, people plainly started at it, and avoided it. No one wanted to pick up after another person, no one wanted to clean the streets. Taking an environmental class during high school changed the way I viewed litter, and humans, period. It changed my outlook on “home.” I know. The thought of how my: home” pollutes other places, like after heavy rainfall, and plastic clogs the storm drains, waiting to drift to the ocean. Hearing about how humans always neglectfully impact the environment motivates me to do my own part bin keeping it clean, but it also makes me want to seek change. I want to partake in this idea of a grassroots green revolution. I know I cannot change very individual, but every bit counts. I do not expect to suddenly make the world sustainable, but I do have a strong passion and desire to influence others to be aware of the limited resources we have. As I quote, “I am not everyone, I cannot do everything, but I am someone, so I can do something.” POST WITH QUESTIONS YOU’D LIKE TO HEAR ABOUT FOR FEEDBACK Sustainability is the key word Oil—nobody wonders where it comes from, how long it’s going to last Environmental engineering Little steps Biodegradable Plastics Sierra club, implementing bins Making recycling more accessible Alternative energy—solar, wind

No comments:

Post a Comment